Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Not Just an Elton John Song

I have been dwelling so much on the whole concept of the circle of life recently. And all of this dwelling has done nothing to make the death part any easier to deal with. I mentioned earlier that my friend's brother was battling cancer, and sadly, he lost that battle last week. Now it wasn't unexpected....and lets be real here....no one is going to live forever. To quote Lesa...you are born and from that point on you just get busy dying. But knowing it is inevitable doesn't seem to make it any easier for his family and friends, and I am still left wishing I could take some of the grief and sadness away for them, if only for awhile.
I have to admit that I am a bit jealous of the people that have an unwavering faith in God and the afterlife as this gives them a great deal of comfort when dealing with this kind of loss. I personally just don't have that kind of faith. That is not to say that I don't believe in some higher power because I do. I think it is a little arrogant to look around and truly believe that mankind is the end all/be all of creation. Not likely. And if you have ever held a new born anything in your arms it is very hard not to believe in miracles and divine intervention of some kind. That kind of perfection just cant possibly be an accident. But death...that has me stumped. The hole that is left when someone close is lost never seems to go away. The old saying that time heals is not quite accurate in my opinion. I don't believe there is ever total healing, but maybe instead that time just allows us to come to terms with what is an undeniable and unchangeable fact. And maybe the death of those closest to us is meant to simply remind us to get busy dying!! And not in a morbid kind of way, but more in a "if you don't do it now you may not have another chance" kind of way. (ok, that still sounds pretty morbid but hopefully you are picking up what I am putting down here...) Life is short and putting things off till tomorrow might not be the best course of action. So today, do something you have been postponing till a better time, and tell those close to you they are loved. Step outside and take a deep breath, and know that life is what you make it. Live out loud and be true to who you are and what you believe, and know that if it all ended tomorrow you would have no regrets. Wow...didn't mean for this one to be so deep and philosophical. And who knows, I could be full of shit!!! :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are not just fos! You have much more insight that you realize. We Christians believe there is another life we live after our bodies die...that life is promised to be perfect without all of the evils and struggles we endured on Earth. That faith you speak of is really the HOPE of something better to come.