Thursday, September 11, 2008

A Day To Remember...

Even today if you were to ask me what I was doing at any given moment on this day 7 years ago, I would be able to recount it for you. (and let me tell you, at my age it is a pretty amazing feat if I can remember what I had for breakfast this morning!) But that is not at all surprising or unique. I think everyone that lived through this day all those years ago would be able to do the same exact thing. And will still be able to do it on the 10th, 20th or even 50th anniversary. This was truly the day that a nation came together as one. I stood in line for hours to donate blood that day, I said prayers and shed tears for complete strangers, and my heart broke a million times thinking of what was lost and sacrificed by so many. The sense of pride I felt for the men and women that ran into that crazy mess, even as every other sane person was running away from it, was immeasurable. Their selflessness was amazing and humbling, and calling them heroes is simply not enough. So today, in the middle of all the noise of politics, and life in general, take a moment to breathe and be thankful. Remember those that gave everything to save the lives of stranger/friends and know that we can come together as one people. Not as Republicans or Democrats, not blacks or whites, not Christians or Atheists. Just simply as human beings. September 11th, 2001 is all the proof we need of that and for that reason and so many more, it should never be forgotten.

1 comment:

Lesa said...

Amen sister.
L