Friday, November 14, 2008

A Right Delayed is a Right Denied....MLK Jr

I know this is about a proposition that was on the ballot in the state of California, but it is very relevant to me and some of the people I love. And, it will soon be very much an issue right here in my own state. My home state put itself right in the middle of the discussion this summer, and because of that, I feel the need to speak out. (like I have ever really needed a reason before!!lol) Now some of the folks that stop by here now and then have all ready listened to me bitch, rant and rave about this issue (hey Lesa!) but for those of you that have been spared this so far...here is my Readers Digest version:

1) How does it affect my marriage if a same sex couple is allowed to repeat the same vows I did? How will my marriage be weakened by this? (and please...this is not a religious conversation! it is a legal/civil rights issue....no more, no less) Are they going to move into my house and use my stuff?? Cuz that I might have a problem with, but until that happens it will have zero effect on the strength of my commitment to my husband. Period. And if it will somehow affect your marriage negatively, maybe you need to take a deeper look. And as a side note....have you seen the statistics on the divorce rate?? Sounds to me like there is a heck of a lot going wrong that has absolutely nothing to do two men or two women being able to exchange vows. Just sayin!!

2) What do we need to protect the children from?? And please...if you use the word gay, or any variation of that word, and the word pedophile in the same sentence, I WILL TEAR YOU UP!!! If a gay couple moves into your neighborhood and your children ask you about them...be honest...be a parent! Families come in different shapes, sizes and colors so teach your children tolerance. I know that might be a foreign concept to some families, but it is the right thing to do.

3) As I mentioned before, this is not a religious issue. It just isn't. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and beliefs, and I would fight to the death to protect that right for you. But simply because you believe it to be wrong does not make it wrong. This is about civil rights and everyone having equal protection and equal rights under the law. If you do not believe in gay marriage, then do not marry someone that resembles you when naked. But do not dictate that what you believe must be practiced by all. Separation of Church and State...heard of it?? Anyone.....anyone.....Bueller......?? You cannot legislate morality because everyone has a different idea of what is moral.

And finally a quote from one of the Founding Fathers:

"All, too, will bear in mind this sacred principle, that though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression"

How can you argue with Thomas Jefferson?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The term "marriage" by its own biblical definition is when a man and woman join in union and become husband and wife. Our great nation was founded by Christian people who used their religious beliefs when setting up the many laws we have today. In “God We Trust” and many other Christian terms are displayed throughout our nation. My belief in God has taught me to be tolerant of others and to offer unconditional love to people everywhere regardless of the race, religion, sexual preference, etc. My choice of religion is just that mine and may not be yours or the guy next door's but it is a factor when a person determines what he believes to be right or wrong.

All that being said I believe in civil rights for each and every human being on this planet no matter what country you live in. Every person should have the legal right to join in “union” and pledge their undying love to their person of choice and it be legal.

The legal terminology is what should be at issue. Marriage is for man and woman. Another term needs to be defined for a union between same sexes. All rights should be the same regardless of the defined union.

Love is a precious thing and no one can take away the dedication one has for another person.