Friday, October 19, 2007

Dysfunctional Family Dinner

So, the big dinner was last night, with all the kids at home. Somehow I saw it going better...you know, I would be there in my June Cleaver pearls and heels, with my Ward at the head of the table in a shirt and tie. My amazing kids would come in, my oldest in his college jacket all smiles and happy, the girl in her poodle skirt and bobby socks. And of course, the littlest man perfectly enunciating "hello mother, hello father" (just that, not the song) when sliding up to the table. But, reality stepped in and kicked me in the head!! Raising teens is hard!! Why didn't those wonderful nurses in the pre-natal classes throw out a little heads up on that??? Seriously...we all knew childbirth was gonna be painful (DUH) but this...this is nothing I was prepared for at all!!! The Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde of it makes me tired and very confused sometimes. But, I wouldn't change it even if I could. And truth be told, my little dysfunctional clan could kick the crap out of the Cleaver brood, and that gives me a very strange amount of pleasure at the end of the day. I will take my reality over that kind of un-natural perfection any day!!

No comments: