Monday, October 29, 2007

Old Friends

I spent most of the day yesterday sitting with an old friend in the hospital. And let me clarify....by old friend, I mean back in the day, not 10 minutes from dying. She is the same age as I am, in fact, we are only 12 days apart. My friend had a heart attack. A very mild one, and she was smart enough to know that something was terribly wrong, so she went to the hospital right away. She is having angioplasty right this minute to open up the blockage, and all should be just fine. Of course this will require a modification to her current lifestyle...no more fried or smothered foods, and the cigarettes have got to go. But she is OK with all of that and I am confident she will live a long and full life. Seemed so strange to get that phone call though. When she told me it was a heart attack, I was certain that I had heard her wrong. It took several seconds for my mind to actually grasp what she was saying. I have no illusions about my age, and the fact that I am getting older, but wow....still seems we are way too young for that to be happening. I guess maybe it is time for me to pay a little more attention to the twinges and aches and pains, but I don't want to become some hypochondriac either. Hard to find the balance I guess. Here's to everyone staying healthy, for themselves and the ones that love them.

No comments: